Does any­one remem­ber Mr Gor­don Broome?

10 years 1 week ago #246 by Gra­ham Woods
Hi Rick

Yeah I remem­ber Mr (Gor­don) Broome. Only vaguely though. Must have been easy going cause I remem­ber
the tough guys — John Stubbs and the try to be tough guys — Mr Rapp and the cra­zies — Mrs Kely­nack

Regards

Graham

Please Log in or Cre­ate an account to join the conversation.

10 years 1 week ago #251 by Rick Mur­ray
Hi Gra­ham,

Yes, he cer­tainly was’nt one of the tough guys.
Stubbs.….was he the met­al­work teacher?
Along side Mr Hewi­son (wood­work) they were pretty heavy guys if i’m cor­rect.
A cou­ple of PE teach­ers were in the mix too.

We had a big lad by the name of Mick Calotti, he did’nt take any rub­bish from any of them.

Regards

10 years 1 week ago #252 by Gra­ham Woods
Hi again Rick.

No, Mr (John) Stubbs was main school. I thought he was a maths Senior. I do know he had a real aura about him. I remem­ber a cou­ple of times he would get one trou­ble maker type dude, to dis­ci­pline another trou­ble maker type dude (the one cur­rently caus­ing a prob­lem), with a whack across the bum using a black­board ruler. Nat­u­rally he would pick some­one that he knew didn’t like the one in trou­ble. Cer­tainly would’t get away with that these days.

I par­tic­u­larly remem­ber, he used to give Mick Mal­one a hard time. Mr Stubbs was the Cap­tain Coach of one of the A Grade dis­trict cricket teams (North Perth I think). I heard later he was try­ing to recruit Mick to his club. God know why he thought giv­ing Mick a hard time would help.

Gee I remem­ber Mr Hewi­son well. Short stature but tough as old boots. One of his favourite say­ings was “I might smaller than you but a piece of 4×2 will bring you back to size”.

I also remem­ber Mick Calotti. A good friend of mine (Ray Scott) was one of his closer school­friends. From all accounts Mick was slightly crazy. Ray used tell me sto­ries about how Mick (who was a very good ath­lete), at our big once a year ath­let­ics car­ni­val, in the 400800 metre races, would street the field, slow down near the fin­ish, allow 2 run­ners to pass him, then come in 3rd. Allegedly so he wouldn’t have to rep­re­sent the SSHS at the inter school car­ni­vals (only the first 2 placeget­ters qual­i­fied).
Don’t know if its true, but its a good story. I do know Mick was always in trou­ble.

Regards
Graham

10 years 1 week ago #253 by Rick Mur­ray
Hi Gra­ham,

Thats great stuff. I don’t think any­one could for­get “Baby Hewi”, he sorted out a cou­ple of the lit­tle kids one day in class (Mick Wood) and I can’t think of the other. It was very tense and I thought Hewi was going to get mobbed and dealt with at the time.

Yes, Mick was an ath­lete alright, he jumped into the back of Jim Far­rell (PE) one day at footy and floored him. He also came between me and a PE teacher called Gam­ble at Abbot Park one day. Gam­ble was giv­ing me a hard time, and Mick grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and pro­ceeded to intim­i­date him.

Do you remem­ber the can­ings that went on? the music teacher loved to use the cane. he used it one day when an Amer­i­can kid would’nt sing God save the Queen.

They would never get away with it today. Some of the kids I knew at school were Geoff Herd, Richard Thomas, Danny Fry, Leo Hughes, Udo Mentlein, Rus­sel Hamer, Ross Gorton.…what about you?

The only fight I ever had at school was with Mick Mal­one, he con­stantly picked on me until one day I cracked. He never did it again.

We had some high acheivers and some very low acheivers eh?

Cheers Rick

6 years 2 months ago #475 by Kerry Larkan
Yes sadly I do for all the wrong rea­sons. Had a dog strode into a His­tory class one day and I pro­ceeded to whis­tle it to which Broomie took offence and I got the cuts for the one and only time in HS.
He was a good bloke though.……

There was a metal work teacher though that used a 1″ steel rule to dish out pun­ish­ment. Lent you for­ward 40 degrees then pro­ceeded to cuff your butt cheeks, which was very dan­ger­ous when you think about it. True story.
Strick­land was his name, imag­ine doing that now, I don’t think so?

Cheers, Kerry

5 years 3 months ago #492 by David Roth
Actu­ally, John Stubbs was my eco­nom­ics teacher. He mainly ruled by sar­casm, which was often quite witty.
His favourite word was ‘emas­cu­late’ as he was always talk­ing about emas­cu­lated eco­nomic leg­is­la­tion etc.
I always found his lessons inter­est­ing.
I remem­ber him giv­ing Ross Gor­ton a lift and Ross had a pie with him. Stubbs said ‘Gor­ton, this is a car, not
a restau­rant’. When I handed in an extremely long assign­ment, Stubbs said ‘Mr Roth, do you want me to mark it or weigh it?‘
I remem­ber Mr Broome quite well. He was always kind to me, prob­a­bly because I was totally hope­less at
met­al­work and wood­work. He sug­gested that I choose another career, which was good advice.

Time to cre­ate page: 0.289 seconds