Crossroads

6 years 5 months ago 6 years 5 months ago #452 by Mark Croo­nen
Hi folks,

Well the site and I have reached a bit of a cross­roads. Recently I’ve been review­ing the usage of the site, or lack there of, and I am rapidly com­ing to the con­clu­sion it is sim­ply not worth main­tain­ing, given the lack of use. The site was cre­ated in era when we didn’t have likes of Face­book and was at one time quite well used but for the past cou­ple of years it gets maybe 45 hits a day, which are most likely spam­mers. Even though the site is not used a lot it still requires time and effort to get keep it patched and secured. Lately I feel I am main­tain­ing the site to sup­port the spam­mers.

To give you some idea here are the recent usage stats for the site.

Total Mem­bers 1070
Users online in the past
30 days 36
60 days 72
90 days 91
180 days 152
1 year 283
Never 177

Pro­file updates in the last
30 days 4
60 days 11
90 days 13
180 days 27
1 year 54
Never 731

Total mem­bers who have uploaded a pro­file photo 16 :(

As you can see, the num­bers aren’t spec­tac­u­lar. The site is not be used and clearly peo­ple are not con­tribut­ing back the site and so it becomes a bit of vicious cycle, with no new con­tent, nobody is vis­it­ing the site.

So before I take the final dras­tic step of shut­ting down the site I would like to get your thoughts on the site, about what I/​we could do to improve it. So please if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Mark

By the way, I appre­ci­ate the irony of post­ing this mes­sage about peo­ple not using the site on a forum that no one vis­its :blush:

Please Log in or Cre­ate an account to join the conversation.

6 years 5 months ago #453 by Mark Gris­dale
Seems a pity to see all your hard work fade away, I must admit that I don’t get on here very often but looks like a good col­lec­tion of his­tory from way back then — Mark Grisdale

6 years 5 months ago 6 years 5 months ago #455 by Eddie Saun­ders
I would hate to see the site fade away or be only a mem­ory on archive​.org, I have to say I enjoy the site, just not enough hours in a day to visit most of the sites I have mem­ber­ship to.

It would be nice if more peo­ple would join the site from when I was at SSHS, but as most would be busy with fam­ily or worse still no longer with us I do not see that hap­pen­ing all that soon.

I have not seen a Google group or a Face­book Group men­tion­ing SSHS so to see this dis­ap­pear would be a shame.

At this time I have a few health issues and the main one is I am being checked out for asbesto­sis at this time, the oth­ers are osteoarthri­tus as well as type 2 diabeties.

6 years 5 months ago #458 by Sandy Mitchell
Yes, shame to see the site close after all the work involved but totally under­stand rea­sons. i am a rel­a­tively new member.…took a while to hear about it! Thank you Mark for a fan­tas­tic job!
Eddie, there is a SSHS Face­book page. Pos­si­bly the rea­son this site receives less traf­fic.
All the best Mark & again, thanks

6 years 4 months ago 6 years 4 months ago #460 by Yvonne Smith
Hey Mark,

Hav­ing been a mem­ber for a while, I would hate too see the site fade to noth­ing­ness. Yep you are right a lot of work for min­i­mal return, but the basic con­cept is still bril­liant. We do not have a phys­i­cal place to visit any­more and it seem like going “Home” when I do get to the site. I may not visit as often as I should but its a com­fort­ing feel­ing when I think about the site to know that I can visit.

I guess it’s like a rel­a­tive you know you should visit more than you do!

Com­par­ing cur­rent ver­sion of the site with older ver­sion.
1: I seem to have more prob­lems with log in
2: nav­i­ga­tion con­fuses me at times ( could be just old age)

We can all come up with rea­sons why we don’t visit,!

Maybe we should just try a lit­tle harder.

6 years 4 months ago #462 by Mark Croo­nen
Hi Von,

Thanks for the feed­back and I would like to thank every­one else for the pos­i­tive mes­sages. It seems while the site is not used a great deal any more, there is still a great fond­ness for the site.

As Tony Wil­son said to me in an email “It’s kind of like an old photo album in one’s garage, you don’t look at it very often, but it’s com­fort­ing to know that it is still there when you want to look at it and rem­i­nisce. “

I think it was this com­ment above all that really got me think­ing about the site since send­ing out the email about its clo­sure and I decided to keep the site run­ning so it can remain to be that prover­bial photo album in the garage. So who cares if the site only gets a few hits. It seems there is still a great fond­ness for the mem­o­ries we have cap­ture here and if it only serves up a few mem­o­ries a week, then so be it.

That said, I will look to restruc­ture the site by mak­ing it easy to nav­i­gate and open it up, It was always a closed com­mu­nity to stu­dents only but I think that time is over. I will also move it from a com­mu­nity site to archive site, I’ll leave the com­mu­nity thing to Face­book and turn this is into a sta­tic site with the infor­ma­tion I have pub­lished for all to use. In restruc­tur­ing it, I’ll also make it easy to main­tain so it takes the bur­den off me.

And for the record, while I’m sure the face­book thing might be a good thing, I’ll never know, don’t have a face­book account and never will. Call me a ludlite, but I don’t trust them with my data. But then I don’t use Gmail, Hot­mail, Linked-​in, 4square or any of those other many social net­work­ing sites. But I do use twit­ter, go figure.
<?php echo KunenaIcons::thumbsup();?>The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Yvonne Smith, Sandy Mitchell

Time to cre­ate page: 0.281 seconds